A few years ago someone (a minister of God, no less!) thought it a fine idea to incite hatred by proclaiming September 11th a day to burn Qur'an. As a Christian I thought the idea remarkably unChristian, unhelpful, and evidence of a profound lack of understanding of both religions. I thought I ought to do something about it.
But what could I do?
I have no power to stop such things. Opposition will just egg them on. Adherents of such thoughts are free in their own minds to believe they are right. But that was the key: I, too, am free in my own mind, and don't have to be driven by anyone's thoughts.
So I decided that in my own mind and my own home September 11th would henceforth be Read Qur'an Day, and if I open my copy no other day of the year, I will read it then. I cannot stop others behaving reprehensibly, but I can behave as I would have them do. Maybe someone will learn by my example.
I'm not interested in being converted or anything; but I'm very much interested in understanding my neighbor so that I know how to love him the way a Christian should.
If you think that Read Qur'an Day is a good idea, you are welcome to share it and perform it and spread the word.