Friday, July 3, 2015

"Intuitive" is now meaningless

Spotted on a store website:  "readers will learn to work more intuitively...."  Honestly, did you even look at what you wrote?  "Intuitive," when it was derived from Latin, was supposed to mean something that is known without being taught.  How can you teach someone to know something without being taught?  While I'm at it, how can a binary property have a comparative form?  Surely you meant "work more knowledgeably," or perhaps "understand what they are doing."

I blame technology.  As has been amply demonstrated, when applied to computers or software "intuitive" doesn't refer to innate knowledge; it means "teach yourself, because we can't be bothered to document our work.  If you keep poking it, eventually you'll sort of figure out parts of it."  This is the very opposite of what "intuitive" means or, at least, meant.

It really bugs me when people damage a word in this way, rendering it nearly unusable.  English is becoming littered with broken words that could mean anything -- which is to say that they no longer have any clear meaning.  I find this particularly enraging when I know that there is a word which would have fit perfectly the meaning into which a damaged word is being forced.

Please:  English has half a million words for you to use.  You don't need to force-fit a word in order to convey your meaning; you need to choose the word that already has that meaning.  Be kind to your reader; don't make him wince at your choice of words.