Sunday, May 31, 2015

Republican 2015 Congressional District Census: Voter's Response

I'm sending the form in, but some of my answers need explaining.  So here we go.

Do I plan on voting Republican or Democrat for President next year?  Since hardly any candidates had come forward at the time I received this, how could I possibly know?  A few times, neither party has fielded any candidate that I could support in good conscience.  But there wasn't a box for "probably one of those, yes."

"How close do you think your views are to other voters in your community?"  Which views are we talking about?  Some very close, some less close, some wildly different.  I went with the average of those.

Should the party start now on developing winning strategy and tactics for that election?  Yes, definitely, but I have seen nothing to suggest that they will do that, instead of alienating voters with strategies and tactics that make party leaders feel assertive.  No box for that, so I went with "yes".

Which party is best able to handle various issues?  In many cases I checked "no opinion" because there wasn't a column for "neither of the Great Parties has shown any aptitude for this one recently."

Should leading Republicans in Congress be aggressive in forcing the Executive to work with them on jobs, taxes, regulations, etc?  No, I think they should stop throwing away every opportunity to work with the Executive on these issues.  Aggression is getting nowhere.

Do I favor simplifying the tax code?  Yes, very much, but I don't think Congress will succeed in doing this.  They've tried before and the result is usually more complexity.

Something about a 1001st attempt to scuttle the Affordable Care Act.  There was no "where is your health care plan" box, so I went with "no".

Should the US play a major leadership role in the world?  When we have something to offer, yes.  When we'd only be throwing our weight around and not actually helping, no.

No comments: