Today I was reminded that I am a stranger in a strange land. I do not speak the language they use here, though the words at first sound familiar.
Today's word is "radical". We were invited to take part in a conference to make Christianity radical again. (There's also been some loose use of the word in political back-and-forth lately.)
Pardon me, but radical with respect to what? The way I learned it, radicalism can't exist in isolation; it's a relationship between an object and its condition, a particular way of having the condition. A person, for example, can be radically liberal or radically conservative or radically centrist (yay!), but one cannot just be "radical". One's politics or religion can be radical, but only when they belong to someone and radicality defines the way in which they belong.
I guess what the organization was trying to say is that we ought to have Christianity radically -- that is, it ought to be something we are rooted* in, not something we don like a suit of clothing when it's convenient to do so. I can agree with that.
----------------------
* You Latin scholars out there were waiting for this, weren't you?
Sunday, March 18, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment